Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Power Out

A tree fell on a car and blocked 13th Av S in Minneapolis, Minn. Taken on Sunday July 19, 2015.
Photo by RACHEL WOOLF.
This is not our street/house, thank goodness!

About 240,000 people lost power after Friday's storms, and we were two of them. It went out around 1 a.m. on Saturday and came back on (for us) around 1 p.m. on Sunday. So, 36 hours.

Other than cleaning out the fridge/freezer and sleeping in the basement, where it was cooler, it wasn't that bad. We read. I knit. I cut out and pinned sewing projects to try. I KNOW, I thought I had too much free time and money, so I've been trying out sewing.

I showed Dee that you can light up a room pretty well by pointing a good flashlight at the ceiling. (Thanks,  years of photography!)

The storm made me grateful for so many things. Our street was still open. None of the big trees in the neighborhood came down. We have a gas hot water heater, so even without power, we could take hot showers. Our basement is mostly finished and we have a futon down there, so it's a nice place to sleep. We even have a tiny bathroom down there, so if we ever had to wait out a long, bad storm, we could do it in relative comfort!

No comments: